What happens when you donate to the Columbia Public Library?
YOU are investing in our future!
Author Neil Gaiman once said that we all have an obligation to IMAGINE! He stated that the act of reading has so many benefits – it helps raise literate children, helps build empathy, and inspires innovation. Libraries are about freedom. Freedom to read, freedom of ideas, and freedom of communication. Libraries are also about education, access to information, entertainment, and making safe spaces. Literacy is more important today than ever. Libraries are the portals to the future. And Gaiman believes we have an obligation to support libraries. He reminds us that Albert Einstein was asked once how we could make our children intelligent. His reply was both simple and wise. “If you want your children to be intelligent,” he said, “read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” Einstein understood the value of reading, and of imagining. YOU, my friends, can help us continue to offer a library where the community can IMAGINE!
You might be surprised to learn that libraries receive absolutely no funding from the federal government and only a small amount from Lancaster County. The bulk of our income comes from the State of PA (currently less than $50,000) and Columbia Borough. The total state, county, and municipal funding is only about 36 percent of our operating budget. The rest must be made up from folks like you who know how important libraries are!
Click on the button below to donate to the Columbia Public Library!
- Click the ‘”Donate” button and then enter the amount that you would like to contribute to the Columbia Public Library.
- From there choose either Paypal or your credit/debit card.
- Once you have done that fill out the information required.
- You should be able to hit the “Donate Now” button.
Donations may be made in the following ways:
- By check: payable to “Columbia Public Library”
- Our address is 24 South Sixth Street, Columbia PA 17512
- Cash donations may be brought into the library at any time
- No donation is too large or too small!
- Our Annual Appeal runs in the fall.
- We participate in Extraordinary Give on the third Friday of November.
- United Way payroll deduction.
- Power of Two: ask two friends to donate, and then tell them to ask two of their friends…
- Memorial Contributions – in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions are a meaningful way to honor the memory of your loved one.
- Bequests – add the Columbia Public Library as a beneficiary in your estate.
- Amazon Smile – shop online and designate Columbia Public Library when you check out.
- Help us spread the word to your friends, family, employers, or anyone interested in supporting their local library.
- Room Naming Right opportunities are still available.
- Call us to schedule a personal meeting and tour to discuss your ideas.
- And remember: donations don’t always have to be money! Have some books at home in great shape that you’re finished with? Some DVDs laying around? Why not donate them to the library to be added to our collection or sold in our Book Nook?
We do ask that you do NOT bring:
- National Geographic magazines
- Readers Digest Condensed Books
- Books that are torn, defaced, water-damaged or musty-smelling
Thank you for understanding!